Question: The Marhoom (Deceased) lived in South Africa - can Hajj - E- Badal be made on behalf of the Marhoom by someone from Makkah or Medina?

Answer: The basic ruling for Hajj-e-Badal is that it should performed by a person who lives is in the same city/country as the Marhoom. If there is not enough money to perform Hajj from the country of the deceased, one may pay someone closer to the Haram to do the Hajj-e-badal.
ان يحج عنه من وطنه ان اتسع الثلث وان لم يتسع يحج عنه من حيث يبلغ ( ارشاد الساري ٦٢٠)
And Allah Knows Best

Yusuf Moosagie